Monday 30 January 2017

Historic Walled Town of Cuenca

Among us, UNESCO collectors, a lot of times trips are planned according with our missing list. I was already making plans to make a deviation to Cuenca to buy postcards in my next trip to Portugal when I received this wonderful postcard that made me change my plans. It's not that I don't want to go to Cuenca, but there are other places that I want to visit without making such a long deviation.

Hanging Houses of Cuenca
This postcard was sent by Alena

The Casas Colgadas (Hanged Houses), also known as Casas VoladasCasas del Rey and, erroneously, Casas Colgantes, is a complex of houses located in Cuenca, Spain. In the past, houses of this kind were frequent along the eastern border of the ancient city, located near the ravine of the river Huécar. Today, however, there are only a few of them remaining. Of all of these structures, the most well-known is a group of three with wooden balconies.
Their origin remains uncertain, though there is proof of their existence in the 15th century. Throughout their history they have been refurbished several times. The most recent took place during the 1920s. - in: wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment