Friday 21 July 2017

From the Great Saltworks of Salins-les-Bains to the Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans, the Production of Open-pan Salt

I could have visited Arc-et-Senans when I was in Besançon, but my wife is not as enthusiastic for UNESCO sites as I am and she convinced me to leave it for the next time... I don't have any card of Salins-les-Bains, maybe a good excuse to visit both :)

Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans
This postcard was sent by Christine

The Saline Royale (Royal Saltworks) is a historical building at Arc-et-Senans in the department of Doubs, eastern France. It is next to the Forest of Chaux and about 35 kilometers from Besançon. The architect was Claude-Nicolas Ledoux (1736–1806), a prominent Parisian architect of the time. The work is an important example of an early Enlightenment project in which the architect based his design on a philosophy that favored arranging buildings according to a rational geometry and a hierarchical relation between the parts of the project. - in: wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment