Sunday, 2 June 2019

Classical Weimar

Classical Weimar consists of multiple structures related to Weimar Classicism. Goethe and Schiller were two of the personalities that most contributed to that movement. 

Goethe's House
This postcard was sent by Hanko

The Goethe House (Goethes Wohnhaus) is the main house lived in by the writer, poet, and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe whilst in Weimar, Germany, though he did live in several others in the town. The home serves as the main location of the Goethe-Nationalmuseum.
In Goethe's residential building, situated at the Weimar place "Frauenplan", visitors can view the rooms in which he and his wife, Christiane Vulpius, lived, at Goethe's study and library, the reception room, the rooms where the art collection was stored, and the garden. The house also contains research facilities, including the “Studiensaal”, an institution used during the age of Goethe which is similar to a congress or conference centre today. - in: wikipedia

Schiller's House
This postcard was sent by Javier

The Schiller family lived here from 1802 until the death of Charlotte von Schiller in 1826. As the first memorial to a poet open to the public in Germany, the house opened its doors as early as 1847. Today the house presents a vivid impression of the tastes of the time and the everyday life of the Schiller family, with its many authentic exhibits, such as a coffee pot made of Thuringian porcelain. One major attraction is the study with its largely original furnishings. It was here that the poet completed his plays "The Bride of Messina" and "William Tell". - in:

Duchess Anna Amalia Library
This postcard was sent by Hanko

The Duchess Anna Amalia Library (German: Herzogin Anna Amalia Bibliothek) in Weimar, Thuringia, Germany, houses a major collection of German literature and historical documents.
The research library today has approximately 850,000 volumes with collection emphasis on the German literature. Among its special collections is an important Shakespeare collection of approximately 10,000 volumes, as well as a 16th-century Bible connected to Martin Luther.
The Duchess Anna Amalia Library is named for Anna Amalia, Duchess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, who arranged in 1766 for the courtly (hoefische) book collection to be moved into the library. - in: wikipedia

Russian Orthodox Chapel
This postcard was sent by Hanko

The Russian Orthodox Chapel is a funerary chapel built in Weimar in 1860 for Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia. It was constructed in the Historical Cemetery behind the Weimarer Fürstengruft, to which it is connected by an underground passage. Maria Pavlovna's coffin is located in the passage, with her husband Charles Frederick's coffin placed directly beside it. A spiral staircase leads to another underground connection to the Fürstengruft, though this is now closed by a metal plate. - in: wikipedia

Goethe's Garden House on the Ilm
This postcard was sent by Austin

The former vineyard cottage in the Park on the Ilm, probably built around the end of the 16th century, was the first home acquired by Johann Wolfgang Goethe in Weimar in 1776, a few months after his arrival in Weimar, together with the surrounding garden. The purchase was financed by Duke Carl August of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. The Gartenhaus was Goethe’s main residence and workplace until he moved to Frauenplan in June 1782. He worked for the Privy Council, the Duchy’s highest governing authority, and performed other offices entrusted to him from there. A large part of his literary works dated back to that period were also written there, including the ballad of the Erlkönig and the poem To the Moon. - in:

Schloss Belvedere
This postcard was sent by Ina

The Baroque Schloss Belvedere, Weimar on the outskirts of Weimar, is a pleasure-house (Lustschloss) built for house-parties, built in 1724-1732 to designs of Johann August Richter and Gottfried Heinrich Krohne for Ernst August, Duke of Saxe-Weimar. The corps de logis is flanked by symmetrical pavilions. Today it houses part of the art collections of Weimar, with porcelains and faience, furniture and paintings of the eighteenth century.
As the summer residence, its gardens, laid out in the French style in 1728-1748, were an essential amenity. A wing of the Orangery in the Schlosspark contains a collection of historical carriages.
After 1811, much of the outer gardens was altered to conform to the English landscape garden style, as an Englischer Garten, for Grand Duke Carl Friedrich, who died at Belvedere in 1853. The enriched collection of exotic plants was published as Hortus Belvedereanus in 1820. - in: wikipedia

Castle and Castle Park Tiefurt
This postcard was sent by Hanko

Built in 1765 as a tenement house for a grand ducal demesne, the building served from 1776 as the residence of Prince Friedrich Ferdinand Constantin, the younger brother of the reigning Duke Carl August of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. After the expansion of the tenement house to a country mansion, he and his tutor Karl Ludwig von Knebel designed a landscaped park in English style. Meandering paths were laid together with the first park architecture and seating, and various types of plants were cultivated. After Constantin’s departure to Weimar in 1781, Duchess Anna Amalia moved her summer residence to Tiefurt and continued to develop the park step by step. - in:

Ettersburg Castle
This postcard was sent by Hanko

Ettersburg Castle lies on the edge of the forest on the northern side of the Grosse Ettersberg. This woodland has been the hunting ground for the Dukes of Weimar since the 17th century. Duke Wilhelm Ernst started building the castle at the beginning of the 18th century; the work was completed by his nephew Ernst August. - in:

Buildings that are included in this site (in red what I have):
  • Goethe's House
  • Schiller's House
  • City Church, Herder House and the Old High School
  • City Castle
  • Widow's Palace
  • Duchess Anna Amalia Library
  • Princes' Tomb and Historic Cemetery
  • Park on the Ilm with Roman House, Goethe's Garden House and Garden
  • Castle, Orangery and Castle Park Belvedere
  • Castle and Castle Park Tiefurt
  • Castle and Castle Park Ettersburg

No comments:

Post a Comment